This is my go to canning recipe to get rid of some of the veggies from my garden. It is awesome to have little jars of this antipasto to take to every holiday party in the winter. Just serve with a fresh, sliced baguette and people will think you slaved all day in the kitchen!
*Optional - when ready to serve, you can add chopped olives or tuna or salmon chopped up into antipasto. Just don't add them to recipe as they don't can.
*I usually double this recipe to make 14 x 500mL jars.
|2.5 cups||Green beans|
|2 cups||Green Pepper|
|2 cups||Red Pepper|
|2 cups||Brown Sugar|
|3 tbsp||Pickling Salt|
|2 cups||Red Wine Vinegar|
|3 can||Tomato Paste|
|2 tbsp||Chipotles, minced|
|4||Garlic Cloves, chopped fine|
|1 tbsp||Ground Mustard|
• Place 7 clean 500 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
• In a large, deep stainless steel saucepan, combine sugar, salt, vinegar, tomato paste, Worcestershire and hot pepper sauces and garlic. Stirring frequently, bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
• Add prepared carrots to wet mixture and let boil 2 minutes. Add remaining vegetables, basil and mustard. Stirring frequently, bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; boil gently for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
• Ladle into a hot jar to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more antipasto. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining antipasto.
• When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 25 minutes.*
• When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
• After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.
Show More Comments
No Comments yet