This is a delicious and spicy Mexican tortilla soup recipe, handed down to me from my soon-to-be sister-in-law (getting married in Mexico this March). Enjoy! :)
|1||small yellow onion (small dice)|
|2||teeth garlic (minced)|
|2 cups||vegetable oil (can be modified to 1 tbsp. to reduce fat)|
|1/4||can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (minced)|
|8||canned tomatoes (small dice)|
|4 cups||chicken broth|
|1 cup||shredded mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese|
|1||chicken breast, skinless boneless (optional)|
|4 tbsp||sour cream|
- heat 1 tbsp oil on medium in a large pan
- add onions and garlic. Stir until onions sweat
- add diced chilies and stir in with adobo sauce
- add chicken broth. Bring to a boil
- chop tomatoes finely and add in, along with chicken
- reduce temperature to low and leave to simmer for thirty minutes or more, to bring out the flavour
- remove chicken after 10 minutes, shred, and return to pot
In the meantime...
- Heat remaining oil in a small saucepan until water sizzles when dropped in. Add tortillas one at a time, turning over when golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towel. (For a healthier option, toast mine under the broiler, approximately 4 minutes each side).
- shred cheese
- slice avocado
When soup is ready, spoon out in bowls, break tortillas into strips and add on top of soup along with avocado slices, shredded cheese and sour cream on top (distribute evenly). Squeeze in 1/4 lime per bowl and serve. Enjoy!
Show More Comments
No Comments yet