A seasonal favourite.
|5 oz||kosher salt|
|2 cups||boiling water|
|8 cups||cold water|
|12||U7 or U8 sea scallops (almost 2lbs)|
|2 tbsp||clarified butter|
1. Line a small baking sheet with paper towels. Combine the salt with the boiling water in a large bowl, stirring to dissolve the salt. Add the cold water.
2. Add the scallops to the brine and let stand for 10 minutes (no longer, or the scallops may become too salty). Drain the scallops, rinse under cold water, and arrange in a single layer on the paper towels.
3. Heat the clarified butter in a large stainless steel or cast iron frying pan over medium-high heat until it ripples and begins to smoke.
4. Sprinkle the scallops lightly with salt and add them to the pan, without crowding. (If necessary, cook the scallops in two pans or in 2 batches; if they touch, they will steam rather than caramelize.) Cook, without moving the scallops, until the bottoms are a rich golden brown, 3 to 3.5 minutes. Turn the scallops and caramelize the second side.
5. Transfer the scallops to a serving platter and serve with a significant spash of lemon juice on top.
Show More Comments
No Comments yet