A Thanksgiving themed hot lunch that's a bit different and fun.
|4||slices MapleLeaf® Natural Selections® Oven-Roasted Turkey Breast|
|4||slices SchneidersNaturally Smoked Bacon|
|1 tbsp||grated old cheddar or parmesan cheese|
|2||Large cooking apples such as spy or ginger gold varieties.|
|.25 cup||diced red onion|
|.25 cup||fresh or dried cranberries|
|.25 cup||washed raisins or currants (optional)|
|1 tbsp||golden sugar|
|1 tbsp||fresh lemon juice|
|.5 tsp||pure vanilla extract|
|1 cup||of pea or lentil soup|
|1 tsp||Minced curly parsely|
|null||Pepper and salt to taste|
1. Wash apples and remove the cores, making sure all the seeds and hard seed casings are gone.
Place into a baking dish.
2. Remove any large fatty areas from the bacon and reserve for other recipes requiring bacon fat. Chop the raw bacon into approx. one inch pieces. Place into a mixing bowl.
3. Chop the turkey breast slices into one inch pieces and add into the mixing bowl.
4. Add the chopped onion, cranberries and raisins into the bowl and mix.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Pour over the bacon and turkey and mix well. Add the lemon juice and toss.
6. Stuff the apple cavities with the mixture, then add the remainder to the bottom of the baking dish, around the apples.
7. Place a microwave compatible plastic membrane over the dish and place in microwave for 15 minutes on high. After 10 minutes, remove the wrapping, sprinkle the cheese over top and continue baking until the apples have completely baked and their juice and pulp are mixed in with the meat at the bottom of the dish. Remove and allow the dish to cool for five minutes. Check that the bacon is well cooked.
8. While the casserole is cooking, heat the soup in a pan. Pea/lentil soup tends to be very dense, so add the half cup of milk to the soup instead of water, to thin it out. Heat to a simmer, pour into a cup and sprinkle the fresh parsely on top. You may also sprinkle some additional cheese on top if you wish.
9. Serve the casserole, soup and the clementines and banana together.
10. Optional treat for children in need of a special boost or reward, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to your hot casserole - the sweet savory taste will work very nicely together!
Show More Comments
No Comments yet