Delicious appetizers or side dish for a BBQ or party, these tasty treats are sweet, savory spicy, tangy, smokey and bacon-y. You may want to double up the portions once you try this one.
|2||small, rounded, evenly shaped sweet potatoes (13-16 cm in length), cleaned and trimmed at tips|
|12||rashers of Maple Leaf bacon - thin slice|
|4||large Kalamata olives, halved and pitted|
|8||small, sweet grape tomatoes|
|8||small slices (length of sweet potatoes) of old smoked Canadian cheddar (mine was chipotle rubbed)|
1. place whole sweet potatoes on the high part of the grill to cook for 5 minutes and then remove.
2. cut each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out a small shallow hollow in the center.
3. place two halves of olives and two grape tomatoes into each shallow boat.
4. place cheese slices along the sides of the vegetables and place the remaining sweet potato scooped that was scooped, over top.
5. wrap up each sweet potato bundle with three slices of bacon so that the centers are well covered and only the tips of the sweet potatoes can be seen.
6. place each piece onto a piece of foil on the top rack of the hot BBQ and cook for 15-20 minutes until the tomatoes and cheese burst out of the bacon and the bacon is crisp. If the bacon crisps up too quickly, use the foil to wrap each potato to allow it cook more slowly and then open the pouch up again to finish. The sweet potatoes should be soft.
7. Serve right away!
You could add a sprig of fresh thyme to each bundle for added flavor - I didn't happen to have any.
Show More Comments
No Comments yet